|"A Regular Epic Final Battle"|
|Season 8, Episode 27|
|Premiere date:||January 16, 2017|
"Cheer Up Pops"
"A Regular Epic Final Battle" is the series finale as well as the hour long special and the twenty-seventh episode in Season 8 (and two hundred and forty-fourth overall) of Regular Show. It first aired on January 16, 2017.
It is composed of 3 segments, "Part 1", "Part 2", and the final standalone part 3, titled "The Power".
In the epic series finale, the fate of the universe will be decided.
A Regular Epic Final Battle Part 1: An epic final battle begins and concludes, all deciding the fate of the universe. The park crew arrives at Lolliland, the place of birth of Pops and Anti-pops. The place is all shattered of all the old fights the two brothers had and there they meet a group of natives from Lolliland, Frivola-Kranus, Quadravi-Kranus and Weird Mushroom Guy, they tell the crew of the previous battles Pops and Anti-Pops had, also they discovered Pops real name, Mega-kranus and Anti-Pops', Malum-kranus, and how the lolliland natives have been evolving to the point Pops was born. In the ancient tapestries show every battle ever done, and there is a section where warriors resembling the park crew are fighting along Pops, meaning they were meant to fight in the ultimate battle, but now that they know that they are meant to end the fight in a stalemate, Mordecai thought of setting traps for Anti-pops so they get an advantage in the battle, Pops was against cheating but he was also convinced that they have to win to save themselves so he helped them to set the traps.
Anti-pops arrives in a Uber-like driver, Pops still tried to convince him to not fight, but Anti-pops refused, after singing the Lolliland anthem, Anti-pops started the fight but everyone had striked him with the traps, at first they were excited about defeating Anti-pops but then he returned unharmed from the traps,
A Regular Epic Final Battle Part 2: Pops still wanted a fair fight, so they made a deal of who ever knock the other first, can do what they want to the universe, they both agreed and started to fight, which in the first round Pops crushed Anti-pops with a cruise boat, but Anti-pops broke the deal and continued the fight while the park crew fight against Anti-pops' minions, aswell Streaming modem who wants to destroy th disc masters, but they are aided by HD DVD and Blu-ray, the baby ducks, Toothpick Sally, Recap, the real Chance Sureshot (it was a clone the one that died), the Guardians of eternal youth, Gary, Carter and Briggs, Death, Party horse and the Guardian of Lolliland (even she isn't supposed to participate), the baby ducks formed another mecha with Skips, Eileen, Benson (on top of the hat), the Guardians of eternal youth, Gary, Carter and Briggs, Death and Party horse, then they fight the modem, Anti-pops minions' shoot down Rigby's ship but is catched by Mordecai, and Chance shoot the Uber driver, the modem is beaten with Gary's synthesizer, a shockwave from Bluray and HD DVD and a, elbow drop from the guardian of Lolliland.
As they ended the first part of the battle, Anti-pops reached his ultimate power and started erasing Lolliland, Muscle man and HFG were caught in the erasing beam and Pops tried to save them but he was too scared of failing, so they said their last "my mom" joke before dying. With their death, Pops got angry enough to reach his ultimate power and the real cosmic battle started, both brothers fired their beams on Lolliland, but Pops was still scared of failing and Anti-pops was stronger so he erased everyone, including Andy, but Mordecai and Rigby.
With the death of almost all his friends, Pops engaged the fist crash that would reset the universe, Anti-pops would counter-attack it, as Mordecai and Rigby were looking it, Mordecai thought of shooting Anti-pops before their fists collide, but their shots didn't affected him and they are caught in the middle of the punch, oblitering the entire universe.
The Power: After the events of Part 2, The episode begins the same way as the first episode of the series, titled with the same name. After the "fight" with Beef Burrito, Rigby gets a sense of deja vu, and remembers all past events from the show. Mordecai doubts that Rigby can see into the future, so Rigby proves it by bringing him outside and digging up the futuristic Blu-Ray boxset containing six years worth of memories, which they buried just before Pops' battle. Although still doubtful, Mordecai remembers simply by touching the boxset.
Looking around, Mordecai sees that Benson and Pops aren't where they are supposed to be when they made their first appearances in the series, with white silhouettes in their spots. He and Rigby realize that their interference when Pops and Anti-Pops collided their fists caused the time stream to not properly reset, trapping them in a glitch in time. Figuring that they still have a chance to help Pops and save the universe, they use their magical keyboard to escape and get back to their proper place and time, and witness the fight of Pops versus Anti-Pops. "Guess who's not dead after all."-They shout at Anti-Pops. He attacks them, throwing them back on Lolliland, as it blows up, destroyed to pieces.
Pops is knocked back to a space in time and he finds himself in The Naive Man from Lolliland short. He escapes, and dodges giant letters that form Regular Show in the background (alluding to the opening title seen in every episode). He tries to save Rigby but is knocked back by a giant swarm of Adhesive Notes, as Mordecai's space is turned into a storyboard, and Rigby is made of the Adhesive Notes as well. "The fabric of reality is unraveling." -Anti-Pops laughs.
He sees Mordecai and Rigby threatened by Anti-Pops, and teleports to save them, putting them on a nearby asteroid. Anti-Pops taunts him- "Pops! Show yourself, coward!" "I am here" -he says. His twin brother gets ready to attack, but Pops launches himself, hugging him, purple energy covering both of them, and having Anti-Pops shrink down to his normal size.
Anti-Pops promises the minute Pops lets go he's going to "blast him into nothing". "I know, so I'm not going to let go." Pops sends himself and Anti-Pops straight into the Sun. As Mordecai and Rigby scream for Pops to return, he telepathically speaks to them. "Don't worry Mordecai and Rigby, I know you're sad, but I promise this is a happy ending. Take care of each other, goodbye."
"My God, all those one-star reviews, ah, I wish I could take it all back", Anti-Pops, now accepting his fate, says.
"You can try, you and I together, brother." Anti-Pops smiles, hugging back, as they are both obliterated by the star. Mordecai and Rigby are deeply saddened by the death of their good friend and, knowing this is it, want to come back as different animals when the universe resets. A giant super-nova forms, and Mordecai and Rigby are sent back to reality. Just like that, the universe is restored to its rightful balance, as news reporter Del Hanlon receives news that the Park Dome is finally back, after 3 years in space. Margaret, also reporting at the time, leaves her post and runs to see the group again after a long period of being apart.
Mordecai, Rigby and the others exit the dome to see hundreds of people. Their relatives run to hug him. Mordecai and Rigby's parents, Don, Muscle Man's wife Starla, and their newborn child. Skips reunites with Techmo, Margaret hugs Eileen, Hi Five Ghost hugs Celia, and Benson's pig comes to see him. Rigby suddenly kisses Eileen for the first time and both blush and smile after. They're all happy, but Mordecai hears cries while giving an interview. It's Mr. Maellard, grieving over the loss of his loved son.
A statue of Pops is built. Benson leaves flowers on the statue, while they all grieve in silence for the loss of Pops. "He Chased Butterflies. He Loved to Laugh. He Saved the Universe. He Was Our Friend. Pops Maellard" is written on a plate on the statue.
Mordecai and Rigby part ways after six years of working together in the park. They hug, and drive to their new homes, with Mordecai moving into his own place, and Rigby and Eileen moving into Eileen's house together, leaving the Park once and for all. Mordecai is working as an abstract artist, showing paintings at an art gallery (some of which look like C.J. and Margaret). He meets Stef, a Bat-like girl whose collection is also on display. They both stare at each other. Rigby, now visibly older and with a mustache, is seen teaching his child how to play games. Eileen brings sandwiches for them, and they hug. Benson and Pam greet a new generation of park workers, along with Skips, still being the park groundskeeper on account of his immortality. Muscle Man and Starla are shown to have six children. Hi Five Ghost and Celia are the DJs in a concert in Prague.
25 years later, all of them come to a reunion. Mr. Maellard had passed away, and a statue commemorating him has been built, right next to the statue of his very son he lost long ago. Everyone has numerous children, and they all gather for a picture. Mordecai and Rigby sit down on the steps of the house to talk again after all this time. Mordecai wished Pops was alive to see what has happened the last 25 years, but Rigby reminds him that they wouldn't have all of this if it wasn't for Pops. Then, they leave to go play video games, but not before they shout their beloved catchphrases one last time ("Hmm hmm" and "OOOOHHHHH!")
We slowly pan out of the house until we see a Hanatronic TV found somewhere in what appears to be Heaven itself, where a tape titled "Regular Show" ejects from a VHS player. Then, Pops (offscreen) is heard happily sighing, knowing his dear friends are moving on with their lives now that the universe is saved. "Jolly Good Show" he says, relaxedly quoting his own well-known catchphrase, as the screen fades to black and the episode, as well as the series itself, officially concludes.
- Muscle Man
- Hi Five Ghost
- Weird Mushroom Guy
- Guardian of Lolliland
- HD DVD
- Baby Ducks
- Carter and Briggs
- Guardians of Eternal Youth
- Party Horse 42699
- Chance Sureshot
- Toothpick Sally
- Recap Robot
- Stream Box Bots
- Lolliland Man (proto-Pops)
- The Waiter
- Mr. Maellard
- Del Hanlon
- Muscle Man's first daughter
- Apple Sauce
- Mordecai's Parents
- Rigby's Parents
- Rigby's children
- Mordecai's children
- Muscle Man's other children
- Hi Five Ghost's son
- It's revealed that the Park Dome left Earth for three years.
- It is revealed that the Chance Sureshot who died in "Space Escape" is actually one of his clones.
- After Anti-pops survived the traps, Mordecai came to think in all the enemies they have killed in the past (maybe remorsely), but Rigby believed that they are all fine.
- It is confirmed that if Pops and Anti-Pops died together, many victims and locations erased by Anti-Pops are revived and restored, as the universe itself is restored to its rightful balance.
- It's revealed that Starla was pregnant at the time The Park was launched into space. This was evident when Starla welcomed Muscle Man back to Earth with their new daughter.
- It seems as if a few characters know that this is a show. Pops, Rigby, Mordecai, and Anti-Pops all have lines that break the 4th wall.
- When Mordecai is seen painting, two abstract paintings resembling CJ (left) and Margaret (right) are seen.
- In this episode, Mordecai and Rigby hug for the first and only time without yelling "Aww sick!" They had previously gotten grossed out from attempting to hug each other in Temp Check (Mordecai hugging the Rigby doppleganger doesn't count).
- During the final part of the Regular Show finale, the timeline fast forwards to 25 years later, somewhat referencing how 2017, the year this episode was aired, marks the 25th Anniversary of Cartoon Network, the TV channel that aired Regular Show.
- Mordecai and Rigby's ships made their 3rd appearances since "Regular Show: The Movie" and "Space Escape".
- The opening scene of the final segment of the series is the first minute of The Power, the very first episode aired, excluding the pilot episode in 2009. A brief segment of The Naive Man from Lolliland is likewise seen during the final battle, as it was the first cartoon short JG Quintel made all the way back in 2005.
- The domes that left Earth to go to the Space Tree Station and then left again during "Space Escape" returned back to Earth months before the Park Dome returned.
- Mordecai's wife, the female bat, was never given a name. During an AMA on Reddit with Matt Price and Calvin Wong, Matt gave her the name "Stef" because "JG loves Goonies so I'm going to say her name is Stef".
- Rigby and Eileen's children were never given names.
- Although Thomas was supposed to appear in the episode, the writers decided against it, seeing as the Thomas arc had officially ended on a good note. This makes Thomas one of the only characters not appearing in the finale. His last official appearance was during the Season 7 finale, Rigby's Graduation Day Special, having a brief cameo as the dome launches into space.
- Matt Price explained why Mordecai didn't end up with Margaret or CJ:
- "We felt like the Margaret / CJ story was complete, and they were both on their own path already. We also felt like Mordecai had moved on in his life. He finally left the park to pursue art, and we thought it'd be cool if he met someone while doing that. But we love Margaret and C.J., and we're sure that they're happy without Mordecai! He was too wishy-washy with them!!"
Pop Culture References
- The song played during the montage at the end is the 1977 song, "Heroes" by David Bowie, who passed away over a year before this episode was aired. It is also the final song to be played in the series.
- The colors of one of the new park employees (the grey/pink hedgehog) resembles Boots the Monkey from the Nick Jr. TV Series, Dora The Explorer as well resembling Sonic the Hedgehog.
- The Lolliland anthem slightly resembles the Christmas carol, "Oh Christmas Tree/O Tannenbaum".
- During Pops' dream sequence, when he's chasing a golden dragonfly and catches, it transforms into a pencil with a dragonfly icon and "2B" on it. This pencil is based on the Tombow Mono 100 Pencil - 2B.
- Chasing the golden dragonfly while flying seems to be a reference to capturing the golden Snitch in Quidditch, from the Harry Potter series.
- In Part 1, Anti-Pops orders his ship to move at warp-10, a loose reference to Star Trek's famous 'warp-factor nine.'
- In Part 1, during the scene where the Park Dome fires at Anti-Pops, Muscle Man isn't seen with the other park crew.
- Colonel Rawls is credited, along with his voice actor, but neither made an actual appearance.
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/regularshow/comments/5oszo6/we_are_matt_price_head_writer_and_calvin_wong/
- ↑ http://calwong.tumblr.com/post/156205474383/hello-calvin-i-have-a-question-and-hope-you
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/regularshow/comments/5oszo6/we_are_matt_price_head_writer_and_calvin_wong/dcltx8z/