- For the original pilot that aired online, click here. This page is about the season two episode.
|Season 2, Episode 25|
|Premiere date:||July 11, 2011|
|Directed by:||Mike Roth|
First Day is the twenty-fifth episode of season two (and thirty-seventh episode overall) of Regular Show. It is an updated and extended version of the pilot episode made to act as a prequel for the rest of the series. It attracted 2.634 million viewers at its premiere, dethroning "Rage Against the TV" as the most-viewed episode of Season 2 and overall before being dethroned by "Exit 9B" which then lost it's title to "Terror Tales of the Park II", bumping it down to the third-most watched episode so far.
In this prequel episode detailing Mordecai and Rigby's first day at the park, they compete for a sofa (which is to be thrown away) by playing rock-paper-scissors.
Mordecai and Rigby find a newspaper ad posted by Benson desperately wanting groundskeepers so they answer the advertisement to Pops, who gives them the job. They get their bedroom (which is empty at the time), and drink two cases of soda while bringing in a pile of old clothes, a blanket, a pillow, and an alarm clock. When they wake up the next morning, they go downstairs to eat breakfast, only to realize that there's one clean bowl and spoon left for cereal. They play punchies for it and due to Rigby's lack of muscle, Mordecai wins the bowl for cereal and the spoon. Benson and Pops come in, carrying an old small sofa and Mordecai and Rigby follow them outside to claim the chair. Pops says that they're leaving the chair "where the men whisk it away to Magic Trash City", but Benson simply says they're throwing it away. Next, the latter drives away, leaving Mordecai and Rigby skeptical about the explanation. However, both of them find it uncomfortable, which explains why Benson explained that they were throwing it out, but yet enough, Mordecai and Rigby play Rock, Paper, Scissors for the couch.
After tying for the one hundredth time, a black hole enters with a monster inside who begins to eat the chair so Mordecai and Rigby run for cover at the doorstep but Rigby runs back when he sees the chair moving closer to the hole. Mordecai goes after Rigby, leaving Pops after both: Pops clings onto a lightpost while Mordecai clings onto Rigby who clings onto the chair. Pop's grip on the lightpost is released, but they are caught by Skips as they slide to their death, the latter telling everybody to pass on the message of holding on, but when Mordecai is about to tell Rigby he sees that Rigby has his head inside the hole! Benson drives the cart slowly, pulling Rigby out but it hits the garage so Benson tells the two to end the tie and Mordecai tells Rigby his move and despite Rigby's doubts, they throw down one last time.
Afterward, the black hole is gone and the park is a mess. Mordecai asks Rigby if he won, but Rigby replies that he probably failed to hold onto the chair, but it is still remaining, one side horribly burnt. Benson screams at the two to flip the cart over, throw out the chair, and clean up the entire mess or they'll be fired; afterwards, he, Pops, and Skips leave, as the two then play a game of rock, paper, scissors for who to drive the cart, ending the episode right there.
- Black Hole Monster (antagonist)
Differences From the PilotEdit
- Muscle Man and Hi Five Ghost appear earlier in the episode, and Muscle Man says a "my mom" joke and he, Pops, and Hi Five Ghost laugh.
- Margaret is seen working out, running; however, her friend and colleague, Eileen, is gone, so it's possible that she didn't have a job at The Coffee Shop at this time.
- Added an intro scene that showed Mordecai and Rigby arriving on a bus.
- Pops is waving at Mordecai and Rigby while driving the cart.
- Mordecai punches Rigby because he made fun of how big Pops head is.
- In the intro scene, Pops gave Mordecai and Rigby a butterscotch ripple lollipop.
- In the end of the pilot, Mordecai asks Rigby to play rock-paper-scissors for whom to drive the cart; in this episode, Rigby asks Mordecai instead.
- Mordecai and Rigby stretch out before they play.
- Mordecai and Rigby are shown waking up in their rooms.
- Rigby tells Pops he should throw the chair out at one point, and Pops says he was.
- Mordecai comments that the chair looks awesome.
- There is an added ending where Mordecai and Rigby say they won't ever screw the job up again.
- Mordecai asks Rigby how are they playing Rock, Paper, Scissors.
- In the beginning, Mordecai and Rigby agree that they won't screw up the job, at the end of this episode; they agreed the same thing from the start.
- Muscle Man and Hi Five Ghost appeared in this episode three times.
The gallery for First Day can be viewed here.