| This article is under the scope of the Episode Cleanup Project and has yet to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality. It may contain errors, spelling, grammar and structure issues, or inconsistent formats. Reader's discretion is advised until fixing is done.|
You can help clean up this page by correcting spelling and grammar, removing factual errors and rewriting sections to ensure they are clear and concise, and moving some elements when appropriate.
|"Gamers Never Say Die"|
|Season 6, Episode 19|
|Premiere date:|| March 5, 2015 (US)
November 23, 2015 (UK)
"1000th Chopper Flight Party"
"Gamers Never Say Die" is the nineteenth episode in Season 6 (and the one-hundred and seventy-second episode overall) of Regular Show. It first aired on March 5, 2015.
Mordecai and Rigby go on a quest to find a rare, golden video game patch.
Rigby is seen on the couch, sleeping with his eyes open but is awakened by Mordecai barging in with a big box, Mordecai reveals a game system and a game that they never beat as kids, this is their chance to finally beat the game. So they decide to use their day off to beat the game. After beating the game, the game's developer Maury Moto reveals a secret map that leads to a golden video game patch, Mordecai tells Rigby to take a picture as they accept this challenge, however the camera seems to be unable to correctly photograph the 8 bit pixel.They have an another idea, to bring the TV with them. Conveniently Skips walks by and they ask if he has some magical way of keeping the TV on without being plugged in: Skips then connects a car battery to the TV, now that they are mobile they ask skips to magically get them to the address given on the map, so Skips asks for gas money. This is all done for humor, since Skips is using conventional means.
They arrive at a beach, they check their map and conclude that they need to find a lighthouse, which is actually a hotdog stand shaped like a lighthouse, next they need to find a big blob, which is the mall next to the stand, which they find easily. In the park, Benson is going to leave to buy some tools, however his car is not working, so he checks the front only to discover his car battery which Mordecai and Rigby took for the TV Is missing. He shouts "Mordecai and Rigby". Back to the mall, the game tells Mordecai and Rigby to follow their hearts and walk 100 paces, they spot a love tester machine in the distance however the food court is blocking it, Rigby tells Mordecai to leave it all to him. Rigby then contuines to walk through the food court in front of Mordecai pushing over every table in his way, and then steals a soda. As they try and figure out what to do next, Benson is searching for Mordecai and Rigby at the hotdog stand, then enters the mall.
After struggling with the next step for a while Mordecai and Rigby notice a grate on the floor, however they hear Benson's voice in the distance and they quickly get the grate open and climb down, luckily Benson did not spot them but he is still on their trail. As Mordecai and Rigby descend, the ladder creaks and quickly falls apart, luckily the fall does not seem that far down and they escape unharmed and the TV is undamaged. As they shake off the fall they realize they are still in a mall, but an old and hidden version of it, they explore a bit before Rigby activates a booby trap and they start running. After dodgeing a few traps they find their way into an old video game store, they rummage around a bit until the Eggcellent Knight appears from behind the counter! Mordecai questions why he is here, he brushes the question off with a simple new job response, but he gives the gang helpful advice on how to get to their goal and that they may only take one badge(per person).
Benson found the trail of the two by examining the soda near the grate, he too descends. Mordecai and Rigby discover the bodies of the two main protagonists of their game, Rigby is able to find a cartridge slot, they agree on turning their map off in order to progress,so they turn off the T.V and take out the game cartridge and place it in the slot, nothing happens so Mordecai takes it out and starts to blow on it before placing it once again. As the cartridge is placed a door opens up revealing the body of the Maury Moto and 2 others, before they take the golden patches they say a few words of respect to the now dead Maury Moto. They take the patches but have no clothes to put them on, so they take the developer's jacket. Suddenly the whole building starts to shake. But, it's just Benson breaking through the wall. Benson is very angry and describes how he got here and notices the golden badges and says that they will easily repay for the car battery they stole. So, he grabs the whole plate, this activates the final trap, the room starts to collapse luckily they manage to escape, but Eggcellent Knight is seen being buried by the rubble and showing thumbs up to them before the rubble completely fell on him.
Outside the mall, Benson boats about how fun it was and after he finishes, Mordecai tells Benson that if he wanted to hang out with them that he could've just asked. This causes Benson to blush for a second, but he tries to cover up his frustration by acting like he's mad at them because of the badges, then Skips tells everyone to look at the mall. Here, the block of the mall and Maury Moto was flying away, but an apparition of the Maury Moto tells Mordecai and Rigby that there is another item to be found and a map is shown in the sky. Benson pulls them into the van and he tells Skips to drive away.
- Basketball Player
- Petition Guy
- Hot dog Vendor
- Garrett Bobby Ferguson (poster)
- Nesbit's Burgers & Bits, a restaurant that Mordecai and CJ went to in "I Like You Hi", can be seen in the first court next to the Cheezer's To Go! restaurant.
- The same person being attacked by the Milk Monsters in Guy's Night appears with the girl with the pink blouse. They are later shoved away by Rigby at the food court
- Mordecai is the only one who knows the Eggscellent Knight since he ate the omelette.
- A poster of GBF can be seen in the abandoned game store.
- The line "Still cold, just like my online dating profile." was written by Sean Szeles. The original line was going to be "Still cold, just like my bed.", but alternative lines were created just in case and the "dating profile" line was chosen.
- The game system Mordecai found is a reference to the Atari 2600.
- Mordecai and Rigby blowing on the cartridges is a reference to a popular myth on old game consoles.
- The names that are shown in the credits at the end of "Tim and Mark's Golden Badge Search Adventure" are the names Toby Jones and Owen Dennis wrote down as their favorite game designers:
- Maury Moto is a reference to the programmer and director of the video game series, Pokémon, named Shigeki Morimoto. The name is also similar to Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong.
- Pat Polynew references Peter Molyneux, the creator of the Fable series.
- Joe Cornuk references John Carmack, the lead programmer for Doom, Quake, and Wolfenstein 3D.
- Roth and Runt Möller references Robyn and Rand Miller, the founders of Cyan, Inc. and the creators of Myst.
- Carrey Tavinhall references Terry Cavanagh, the creator of VVVVVV and Super Hexagon.
- Phil Trout references Phil Fish, the creator of Fez.
- Hito Kujama references Hideo Kojima, the creator of the Metal Gear series.
- At Maury Moto's room, there is a snack that has a logo that resembles Pringles and nexts to the snack is a game console that resembles the Nintendo Entertainment System.
- Several scenes within the episode appear to be a reference to the 1985 film The Goonies.
- The title of the episode also seems to be a throwback to the Goonies code "Goonies Never Say Die".
- The map used to find the golden gaming badge resembles the maze seen in the Scary Maze screamer game.
- When Mordecai and Rigby are talking to Maury Moto, They talk about an invisible block and a power-up coming out which could possibly be referencing 1-1 from the original Super Mario Bros. In which the player earns a 1-up mushroom if they find the invisible block.
- During the scene when Mordecai places his hand in front of the light and a spear barely misses him is a possible reference to the first booby trap in Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark where Satipo is speared by a wall of spikes that activates when moving objects touch light.
- Another Indiana reference is when the Eggscellent Knight waves a final goodbye to the two, the hand movement and crumbling rocks is similar to the end scene of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where the knight raises his hand to Indy and his Father.
- Rigby called the game they played "Tim & Mark's Golden Badge Secret Adventure", but the title on the game's box art is "Tim & Mark's Golden Badge Search Adventure".
- There was one jacket on the developer's body yet both Mordecai and Rigby got a jacket.